Friday, October 29, 2010

Have a Safe and Happy Halloween!

Don't forget to read over our Halloween Safety Tips! Here are also some good reads to keep everyone safe this trick or treat season.

Safety Tips for People:

CDC safety tips:

Keep Kids Healthy:

More ASPCA Safety Tips:

Thomas Schaeberle, VMD

Friday, October 22, 2010

Halloween Safety Tips for Pets

Halloween safety tips for furry friends. Brought to you by the ASPCA

1. No tricks, no treats: That bowlful of candy is for trick-or-treaters, not for Scruffy and Fluffy.

* Chocolate in all forms—especially dark or baking chocolate—can be very dangerous for dogs and cats. Symptoms of significant chocolate ingestion may include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, increased thirst, urination and heart rate—and even seizures.

* Candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can be poisonous to dogs. Even small amounts of xylitol sweetener can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, which leads to depression, lack of coordination and seizures.

2. Pumpkins, candy wrappers and decorative corn are considered to be relatively nontoxic, yet they can produce gastrointestinal upset should pets ingest them. Intestinal blockage could even occur if large pieces are swallowed.

3. Keep wires and cords from electric lights and other decorations out of reach of your pets. If chewed, your pet could experience damage to his mouth from shards of glass or plastic, or receive a possibly life-threatening electrical shock.

4. Take a closer look at your pet’s costume and make sure it does not have small, dangling or easily chewed-off pieces that he could choke on. Also, ill-fitting outfits can get twisted on external objects or your pet, leading to injury. Try on costumes before the big night. If your pet seems distressed, allergic or shows abnormal behavior, consider letting him go au naturale or donning a festive bandana.

5. All but the most social dogs and cats should be kept in a separate room away from the front door during peak trick-or-treat visiting hours. Too many strangers can be scary and stressful for pets. If for any reason your pet escapes or becomes lost, pets wearing a collar and tags and/or a microchip can increase the chances that he or she will be returned home.

Have a Safe and Happy Halloween! The Shiloh Veterinary Hospital Staff and Friends

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Question: Parasites and my pet!

Dr. Schaeberle,

I think my pet has worms! What can I do to prevent them?



Dear Nicole,

In general when we mention internal parasites, people tend to think of the word “worms”. There are many different internal parasites and the only real worms that you are likely to see in your pet’s stool are roundworms and tapeworms. Included in the list of internal parasites that you cannot see are hookworms, whipworms, heartworms and a variety of protozoa (single-celled organisms). To find evidence of these worms, you must examine stool specimen under a microscope. To check for heartworms, a small blood sample is needed.

Past studies show that about 1 in 3 dogs carry internal parasites. Why is this? Dogs can ingest feces, cats eat mice, all pets can be bitten by mosquitoes (which can cause heartworm disease) and both can carry fleas which can cause tapeworms. The good news is that all of this is preventable! The prevention of internal parasites is preferred over the costs of treatment for parasites, inconveniences to the owner, and the discomfort of your pet. Just as important, many of these parasites have the potential to be transferred to humans!

My recommendations:
1. Submit a stool check each year to your veterinarian.
2. Keep your yard as clean as possible of feces.
3. Use flea preventatives like Advantix or Frontline.
4. Most important is the year-round use of a monthly heartworm preventative such as Interceptor which prevents heartworms and many intestinal parasites, on a monthly basis your round.
5. Get an annual heartworm test for your dog. Our heartworm test also tests for Lyme Disease, which is a very prevalent disease in our area.

A great web site on “worms”:

Thomas Schaeberle, VMD

Friday, October 8, 2010

Question: Anesthesia is it safe for my pet?

Dr. Schaeberle,

How safe is anesthesia for my pet?



Dear Jody,

As with the human medicine, anesthetic agents and protocols have greatly improved over the past few decades. When I was a student at the University of Pennsylvania 32 years ago, I was trained to use a common combination of human anesthetics to anesthetize pets. Shortly thereafter I experienced my first anesthetic death in a small poodle. It was devastating to me and I even questioned whether I wanted to practice veterinary medicine.

With the many changes in anesthesia protocols through the years, veterinary medicine is now safer for all pets, including older dogs and cats with chronic medical conditions, not just young pets for neutering.

What is the difference over 30 years?

1. Probably the biggest difference over the past few decades has been in anesthesia monitoring. As a certified member of the American Animal Hospital Association, we are obligated to monitor all pets that undergo surgery. All of our patients are monitored for oxygen levels, respiratory and pulse rates, body temperature and EKG recordings.

2. As mentioned in last week’s article, we are proud to have 8 college graduate technicians. Our technicians are well-trained in anesthesia protocols and the monitoring of anesthesia. They stay with the pet from the beginning of anesthesia to the pet’s awakening.

3. Over the past 30 years, there have been a few new anesthetic agents introduced but what has changed veterinary medicine the most is the combination of anesthetics that we use, increasing safety dramatically.

4. The placement of an IV catheter and administration of IV fluids helps to maintain a stable blood pressure while a pet is under anesthesia. It also allows rapid delivery of the anesthetic drugs, and if necessary, life-saving medications in the event of an anesthetic problem.

5. Lastly, preoperative bloodwork is mandatory for most of our anesthesia and surgery cases. Anesthetic drugs are removed by the kidney and/or liver, and problems such as diabetes or clotting disorders are also picked up with preoperative bloodwork.

Go to our website, to download our surgery check list: under Services, Fees, click on Major & Minor Surgery. This informative brochure will help you understand the keys to a safe surgery for your pet.

Thomas Schaeberle, VMD

Friday, October 1, 2010

Question: My Pet's Bark sounds odd?

Dr. Schaeberle,

My dog is unable to bark like he used to, is that possible? It sounds like he may have a cold.



Dear Morgan,

Paralysis of the nerves that control the cartilage flaps that cover the larynx or voice box preventing them from completely opening is an uncommon condition typically affecting middle-aged, large breed dogs, though dogs of any age or breed may develop this condition.

Inflammation or trauma to the nerve causes loss of movement on one or both sides of the larynx which narrows the airway leading to symptoms such as coughing, hoarse bark, difficulty breathing, and, sometimes fainting during exercise or excitement. Severe cases may be fatal if respiratory arrest occurs.

This condition must be diagnosed by observing the larynx with the dog sedated to see if the cartilage flaps open and close normally.

Treatment for mild cases may include steroids to reduce inflammation but definitive treatment is a surgical treatment known as a laryngeal “tie-back” procedure which opens the airway.

Prognosis for dogs with laryngeal paralysis is guarded to good depending on the severity of the condition and obtaining proper diagnosis and treatment.

For more information visit our website -, go to Resources then click on Pet Health.

Thomas Schaeberle, VMD

Search This Blog